In 1899 Field Marshall Sir John Linthorn Simmons,
G.C.B., G.C.M.G, R.E., in fulfilment of a wish made by members
of his family, set aside a portion of his land in Langford to build
a church and parsonage.
The church was completed on 6th October 1900 as shown on
a stone placed on the outside of the West wall.
The roof of the chancel is of oak and that of the nave of pitch pine.
The octagonal font of Ham Hill stone with a Maltese Cross on f
our faces stands inside the entrance door. The pulpit is of oak
on a stone base.
Originally there was a small lean-to vestry but this was enlarged
in 1902 to accommodate the organ which was brought from Barley
Wood in Wrington. The West end has three tall lancet lights; the
South side five smaller lancets, one of which is in stained glass;
and in the North wall are three similar ones, that nearest the pulpit
being in memory of William George Iremonger and his wife.
The Reverend Iremonger was priest-in-charge from 1913 until 1950.
In the chancel and sanctuary there are three stained glass windows
above the altar and three in the North wall in memory of Sir John and
In 1903 the Field Marshall died and in July of that year a portrait of
him in uniform was incorporated in the oak overmantle in the dining
room of the parsonage with the inscription: 'Eleanor Julia Linthorn
Simmons elder daughter of Field Marshall Sir John Linthorn Simmons
bequeaths this portrait by Henty of her father to be hung in perpetuity
in this house as a memorial of his having built and endowed the Church
and Parsonage of St. Mary the Virgin Langford'.
The stone of which the church is built is interesting. It is dolomitic
conglomerate and is a desert stone of the Triassic period - about
200 million years old. Small stones from the surrounding hills and
mountains fell down to the desert floor and eventually became
compacted in the sand. The interior walls are wrought with chiselled
tooling and the small stones can be seen clearly. Similar stone was
used in many other local buildings.